Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Lines and Brackets

Last night at supper Cameron made a comment that wasn't kind.  I can't even remember what it was.  Something he had heard at school.  It wasn't a "bad word" but it didn't sound nice coming out of our 8 year olds mouth.  I can't tell you how many times we have said, "Please use kind words."  Or, "Is that ok for me to say that about you?"  Most of the time he just stares at us like he couldn't believe we would even think about saying those things about him.  It has gotten him to think.  A little bit :)  After the comment at supper last night I remembered my sister-in-law telling me that they have been referring to Ephesians 4 with their kids when talking about the stuff that comes out of our mouths.  So, I got out my Bible and we read Ephesians 4:29.  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."  They didn't hear a word I said but they saw that I had bracket around it.  "What's that mom?  Why did you do that?  Can you do that?"  We then talked about how I have some notes in my Bible and some of my favorite verses underlined or they have brackets around them.  They were amazed.  They ran to get their Bibles and pens and started to underline and draw brackets around the verses we have been working on as a family.  They did some from Sunday School, and another one we have on our kitchen wall.  Cameron then took his Bible to Nolan's basketball practice and did more.  This morning after breakfast Nolan was still at it.  He kept asking me for more favorite verses.  I asked him to put his pen down, which he reluctantly did.  I told him he could underline and put brackets around every single verse in the Bible if he wanted to but what we really want him to do is to get to know those words and what they mean in his life.  He said "OK, but can we do just one more?"  :)  I told him I loved Psalm 139.  He picked up his pen and put a bracket around verse 5 like I had done.  "You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me."  I told him that was a great verse and one of my favorites.  I showed him the hem in the bottom of my shirt and showed him how it was all closed up.  I told him that God closes him up just like that hem.  He goes to school before him and after him and watches over him and protects him.  He said, "Mom, that is so cool."  Yes it is, buddy.

I love the desire these boys have to underline and bracket off their favorite verses in the Bible but I also pray that they take those words and hold them dear to their hearts and understand even more just how much they are loved and how studying these words deepens our experience with God.  It was such a great reminder to me this morning.  Thanks, boys.


No comments: