Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Nobody warned me about the tooth

I didn't know that Cameron losing his first tooth was gonna be such a big deal.................for me.  I knew it was gonna be a big deal for him.  After years of watching his friends lose their teeth and get new ones, Cameron finally lost his first baby tooth.   It was a big wait for him.  He watched classmates lose them in kindergarten and he couldn't wait until he lost one.  Kindergarten finished, no lost teeth.  Same thing in first grade.  Almost through his second grade year and he finally lost a tooth.  He asked me to pull it out, actually.  It was past bed time and I knew there wasn't going to be any sleeping going on if that tooth was still dangling in his mouth all night.  He really wanted it out and he wanted it out right away.  So, he braced himself and told me he would be brave.  He was so brave.  We got it out and the anticipation of that tooth coming out hit us both like a ton of bricks.  He couldn't believe it was out and ran to the mirror to see his smile.  I held that tooth in my hands and cried.  I wasn't expecting that.  My baby lost his tooth.  He isn't going to have that baby tooth any more.  He is gonna lose them all and get big teeth.  It is such a funny thing to me how that works.  The tooth in my hand reminded me that life goes so fast even when you are waiting for something exciting to happen.  We celebrated that tooth.  I let him stay up to tell daddy when he got home and call both sets of grandparents.  It was a big deal.  Every time I look at that smile I get a little ball in my throat.  I know it sounds silly but that tooth that he got so long ago was a part of him for so long and now its done.  I am reminded how special these years are with our boys.  I wish somebody would have warned me that the tooth was gonna be such a big thing and that I  might cry :)  Love you buddy!


No comments: